The main goal of the module is to provide adequate knowledge and skills on post harvest handling, processing and preservation of fruits, vegetables and food grains.
The specific objectives are:
• Understand the concept of post harvest technology, its importance and objectives.
• Understand and explain the causes of post harvest food losses and the prevention measures.
• Carryout post harvest food loss assessment.
• Understand the pre-harvest factors affecting the post harvest life and quality aspects.
• Carryout fresh produce handling appropriately: maturity determination, harvesting, grading, packaging, treatment and storage.
• Survey the storage practices in the area and recommend for better storage techniques.
• Understand various methods of food processing and preservation.
• Carry out processing and preservation of vegetables and fruits.
• Understand the concept of agriculture marketing and assist in marketing of horticultural products.